So the first idea for this week's task is going well. Really well: lots of ideas, mapping them out in relation to one another, getting ideas laid out for follow-up activities, lots of stuff.
Which means we need to change.
The more I look at this, the more I realize it's too big an idea to do in a week. What I've spent the last few days mapping out is more of an adventure path module than a single dungeon, and it's not going to get done right in a week.
And you know what? I say good.
I say good because today is Monday and I've realized that I've bitten off more than I can chew. Let me rephrase that: I say good because I realize I've bitten off more than I can chew, and it's Monday--not Friday. This is progress.
So what to do now?
Now I do what I should have done from the beginning: make a nice, simple crawl that doesn't involve a huge sprawling story. Something self-contained that other GMs will be able to take and adapt to their own groups and adventure without too much difficulty. Something drawn from rolling on a few random tables...
Ok, no, it isn't as involved a process as I had originally intended. And, I agree, rolling random numbers to create features doesn't sound like the most creative way to go about this. But it is. It is because it's going to put a few ideas down on paper, around which my brain can start creating. It'll be a challenge put forth to see how I can make something interesting and coherent out of something that's so disparate.
I'm going to put my trust in the good people who have been doing this stuff for years, and see what comes of it. So let's see what the dice have in store for me...
"A hedge maze in a sewer whose entrance is an almost-impossible-to-reach cave in a cliff."
Let's roll again and see what we get this time.