Saturday, January 19, 2013

Week 3: Donate Blood


Task #3: Give blood

What it is: Make a donation of blood to the Red Cross or nearby hospital in need.

Why I haven't done it yet: Why don't any of us do it? I feel like this is the classic "I'll do it next time" kind of community duty that people are expected to do. I'd try and blame it on working from home, but I never did it even when it was available at my old client site. I'm not afraid of needles--am actually pretty good at keeping my cool over having to have blood drawn or get shots, though I haven't had the experience of sitting while a whole liter is removed (I believe that's how much they take, no?).

What I hope to accomplish: I'm hoping that by finally doing it, it will demystify the process and make it easier to do in the future. Also, the feeling of smug superiority over people who haven't done it will be nice (truth be told, I think the motivation for about half the tasks on this list are going to fall back to this). Hopefully I can get over the mental block of never having done it, and then it'll be an easier way to contribute in the future.

I mean, really, what's the worst that can happen?


No comments: